Monday 16 January 2012

Thoughts on Being An Author

I used to think that being an author would be easy. You write a novel... well I have writen dozens of them over the years. Some, of course are worthy of nothing but the recycle bin, but some could be cleaned up and be useful.

Okay, so you have your novel and you submit to publishers. And then you get accepted and... Woo Hoo. Bang. You're an author and you can sit back and wait for the royalites to roll in.

RIGHT.

Nobody told me that, to be an author today you have to also be a technological genius. No one told me I would have to create and maintain a blog, network with other authors (which frankly terrifies me. I mean they are REAL authors after all), do interviews, create profiles, facebook pages and all sorts of things. Oh, and I have to... *gulp* tweet.

All in all being an author is bloody hard work.

Not that I'm complaining, though, I'm having a blast AND I'm learning that other authors are real people, and most of them are actually very nice real people. As well as making connections I am making friends, finding old friends behind new names and getting to grips with technology stuff that I never thought I ever would. ( and my kids certainly didn't think I ever would).

All in all it's just about the best thing that's ever happened, as well as one of the scariest and hardest work. I guess what my mother said is right. You get out what you put in and you value what you work for.

OH AND the best part :) I get to post pictures of hot men... and my favourite beautiful one :) :)

I've decided that I really don't need any excuse other than that I can.













2 comments:

  1. Awww, you're not a complete novice at some of this. Granted, the other authors at GA aren't published but you've been promoting yourself, discussing their stories, and writing in general for quite some time. A story hidden in the wilds of obscure ebooks won't sell unless you bring it to the right people's attention, and that goes for any story on any site. I know it's keeping you busy but it sounds fun too! Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete